Shadow of a Doubt


Having enjoyed the excellent The Third Man and watched the average Hitchcock biography, I was reminded of one of my favourite Alfred Hitchcock films starring Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt.

I'm not sure what it is but there are many films today that can be enjoyed straight upon the first and sometimes only viewing. In comparison I have always found Hithcock's films to take that extra go before I can truly appreciate them and they grow stronger with each return. With Shadow of a Doubt I'll be honest and say I didn't think much of it the first time, it was entertaining but not one that I'd choose to watch again. However due to my degree I did and then I became hooked; this is a great black comedy set amongst a summery, blissful American suburban town just when the country was entering the Second World War, but you would never guess it. 

Released in 1943, Shadow of a Doubt stars Joseph Cotton as Uncle Charlie, a man on the run who chooses to visit his sister and lay low for a while hoping to avoid any unwanted attention. The family couldn't be happier to have him over particularly his niece, Charlie (Teresa Wright), who has a strong affection for him but soon starts to sense something is amiss.


The formula of the film has been used many times since its release, most notably in Stoker, but it's Hitchcock's distinct style that keeps this high above the rest. There are many great moments of subtle and dark humour with the murderous tension expected from the director's previous work. Why it's my favourite so far though is due to how simple but affective the story is and how it quickly becomes so gripping. It almost feels as if Hitchcock has framed the idyllic all-American life just before something terrible is about to happen, not just to what will happen to the family as Uncle Charlie finds the past catching up on him but also to the town with the war in Europe raging ahead that's only once briefly referred to. 

Shadow of a Doubt also boasts terrific performances, particularly from Cotten and Wright who have great chemistry together. Hitchcock has done romance before and very well but I can't think of any of his other characters that can match the unsettling mood between these two. The supporting cast are also great, including Henry Travers and Hume Cronyn as the father and neighbour who lightheartedly discuss murder strategies while oblivious Uncle Charlie's odd timing with the murder mystery ongoing. 

It may take two viewings but, for me, this outdoes any of Hitchcock's other American films and is well worth your time. They call him 'the master of suspense' for a reason and it is well and truly justified. Shadow of a Doubt gets my full recommendation. 

Comments

Popular Posts