Highlander


Coinciding with Chad Stahelski's plans to reboot Highlander with Henry Cavill, I recently saw the 1980s original not knowing what to expect, other than Sean Connery's questionable accent, and was keen to see how this stacks up today. Sometimes these adored 1980s classics required you to have been there at the time or watched them at an early age suggesting maybe nostalgia had kept the film's reputation afloat but I really wanted to see this for myself. Cavill of course hadn't had the best time wielding a sword in The Witcher but if I have anything to say about this, I certainly a lot of potential in a remake for him.

The story follows Connor MacLeod from 1536 to the then present day as he learns he is immortal to almost everyone except a few other warriors around the world who grow more powerful with each member they kill. "There can be only one" is the saying and the last warrior standing will be granted a special prize after centuries of violence. 


It's a very fun concept and director Russell Mulcahy does a pretty good job setting the scene for the film that has ideas way above its seemingly limited budget but I wouldn't say this hits all the right notes to do justice to the premise. The film juggles quite a few fun concepts but I was left with so many what-ifs and questions. For example, why not show more of MacLeod through the centuries, where is the sense of urgency as the warriors are gradually reduced to a few and we are also missing a sense of whether he fully commits to this competition. There is a really good film in and amongst this all which makes it a shame that so much potential is left on the table.

However, the film does get its cast right with Christopher Lambert as the typically stoic lead, Clancy Brown perfect as the twisted villain and Mr. Connery stealing the show as the wise old mentor, Juan Sánchez-Villalobos Ramírez. The visuals are also good fun with some charmingly dated effects and nice uses of the Scottish Highlands. Then there's Queen's soundtrack which will divide some but I found added to the campy charm of the film. Anyone who enjoys A Kind of Magic owes thanks to this very film!

Highlander is a flawed but enjoyable piece of fantasy action and still holds up fairly well today for anyone interested in films like this from the 80s. Original fans will likely feel grieved at the idea of a remake but I really am looking forward to seeing what Stahelski can do as I believe there is so much more to a fun, silly concept like this, and I hope he can deliver. As for this, it was fun in places but I'm not sure I will return or bother with the lacklustre sequel. There can be only one? I think a second is needed.

Comments

Popular Posts