Dune: Part Two


The world of Frank Herbert's Dune was one I knew nothing about before watching Denis Villeneuve's adaptation in 2021 and I had great time immersing myself in this fascinating world created by a very talented author, who's book I am now reading and very much enjoying. Alas though, I didn't start early enough and even with the Hollywood strikes delaying Dune: Part Two from 2023 to 2024, I am currently half way through the book. So here I went into the sequel knowing very little of what to expect as I sought a cinema that gave the best visual and audio experience, with the IMAX screenings all fully booked, and prepared to return to Arrakis. 

Set not long after the first film, Dune: Part Two sees Paul and his mother, Jessica, making a dangerous journey across the desert with the Fremen following the destruction of House Atreides and death of Duke Leto. Meanwhile, the Harkonnens are pursuing them relentlessly across the desert planet, laying waste to anyone who comes in their way, as they seek to reassert their dominance over the control of the all important Spice. The Fremen seek to rid their world of Harkonnens and some are beginning to see Paul as the promised Messiah but a conflict stirs amongst them, which Paul wants no part of but might soon find it necessary.


Much like the first film, there is a lot of moving pieces to quickly grasp but Villeneuve once again proves why he is one of the best in the business and has craft a truly thrilling epic that isn't afraid of its mature themes, and will rank among the best sci-fi films. In a single word to describe this, it would have to be immersive. The talented cast of new and old faces, Hans Zimmer's heart-pounding score, Greig Fraser's visuals and Villeneuve's direction all combine perfectly to deliver a type of sweeping epic we do not really see today. 

Am I then saying this is a perfect film? It's almost there if it wasn't for one abrupt jump from scene to the next which made me question if I fell unconscious for 30 minutes. That is a nit-pick but it felt odd as it pulled me out of the film briefly and hinted that maybe Villeneuve had to leave a lot on the cutting room floor, of which he has said we will never see the deleted scenes, and there must be a lot. We are also missing Thufir Hawat from this story and Tim Blake Nelson had also shot scenes which never made it to the final cut, with the former likely to disappoint fans of the books. Aside from my first point, the pacing is fantastic and I would have happily watched another 165 minutes when the storytelling is at this level.

Dune: Part Two is a dark and thrilling experience of deep sci-fi which will play best to fans of the genre, and anyone who enjoyed the first film. There is no case of diminishing returns, sequelitis or anything else of the sort here; I had a great time watching this film and really do looking forward to purchasing it in the future to enjoy at home. It's March and I think this might well be my favourite film of the year.

Comments

Popular Posts