Movie Marathon - Batman (1989) & Batman Returns


Back in 1989, the cinema was a different beast and Tim Burton's Batman was something of a rarity as a superhero film. To release it today would be a different story as the genre continues to dominate screens but Burton's adaptation of caped crusader was something of a gamble that provided to be very successful and would spawn a sequel in 1992 with Batman Returns which starred Michael Keaton as the man behind the mask. I have enjoyed most of Burton's work but I wasn't as familiar with his Batman films and while I await the release of The Batman, set for 2022, I wanted to see how these had aged...

Batman stars Keaton fighting against crime in the streets of Gotham and who comes across a slick thug, Jack Napier (Jack Nicholson), who seemingly falls to his death mid-fight before becoming resurrected as the iconic villain, Joker. It's a different take on the caped crusader, changing elements of his backstory and also seeing him practically kill people throughout both films, but Burton's approach perfectly captures the dark gothic beauty of the source material through a creative mix of practical effects. 


Keaton's stoic version of Bruce Wayne is perfectly good and makes for a nice comparison against Nicholson's Joker who almost steals the show were it not for some very dated 1980s moments that will leave a sour taste for some newcomers. I don't have much nostalgia for these films and I found the sheer wackiness in parts frustrating as there is a more tonally satisfying film underneath Burton's crazy antics. Nonetheless, Nicholson's scenes are thrilling to watch and we do see some foreshadowing with Billy Dee Williams' Harvey Dent (something that is unfortunately never followed-up with), and the rest of the supporting cast with Kim Basinger, Pat Hingle and Michael Gough are all great. 

I just can't escape feeling though that this film is best remembered by those who have some nostalgia for it or are fans of Burton's other work. Batman fans will still find bits to enjoy but the dated aspects did hinder my enjoyment yet knowing there was a sequel gave me hope we'd see a more polished version next time around. 


And Batman Returns is a complicated film again for me! I like Tim Burton and his gothic style again suits the material but those wacky moments as Batman fights off circus performers in the streets of Gotham had me wondering if I was the right age for this. The film begins on a very dark and atmospheric note exploring the origins of Danny DeVito's menacing Penguin who plans to wreck havoc on Gotham alongside Christopher Walken's cruel businessman, Max Shreck. The sequel does away with Basinger and Williams but introduces also Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman. 

The story here focuses a lot more on Penguin, Shreck and Catwoman leaving Keaton's Batman somewhere in the snowy background, almost making him a supporting character in his own film. I would have no problem with this if it wasn't for how bonkers and bizarre the main story plays out in a tonally confusing manor that left me wondering who this was for. Thankfully, DeVito, Walken and Pfeiffer are all on top form but any newcomers to Batman who entered via Nolan's trilogy will be left perplexed by how Burton handles the series. 

There is a lot to enjoy in both of Burton's films but these are most likely best enjoyed by fans of the director first and everyone else second. I do like how he depicts Gotham, Keaton's understated performance and the colourful cast of villains but I'm not sure when I will be revisiting these films. They are products of their time and it's always great to see a director put his stamp on the character but maybe this was a step to far for my liking. 

Comments

Popular Posts