The Menu


The Menu, released in 2022 and directed by Mark Mylod, was an interesting looking thriller that seemed blend elements of dark comedy, going by the trailer, and I was very curious to see what it was all about. With a great trio of names, Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Fiennes and Nicholas Hoult, I had high hopes but I'm not sure if this menu was entirely what I had in mind.

The story here follows a wealthy group of people all paying for a trip to an island where they will stay for a night but not before they are served by an iconic chef and a master of his craft. Taylor-Joy's, Margot, is invited along by her date who is completely enamoured with the chef but he seems oblivious to the apparent dangers all around him which makes for an extremely uncomfortable evening ahead of her. 


Looking online, it seems this film really has struck a cord with many but I found the premise to be more exciting than the overall experience. This is a glossy, well-presented thriller with a great cast but, like other thrillers, logic can be its undoing and The Menu had me wondering "why don't they do X" and so forth. However, if you can take the story for its dark themes and what Mylod is trying to say then this will be more satisfying.

I found it interesting to learn Taylor-Joy insisted one scene be changed mid-production as she thought her character's reaction was wrong and so in the film we get this great fiery outburst that feels far more natural, and I feel The Menu needed more of this. It's at this point my expectations went against the metaphor the director was trying to convey. Sure, too much logic and the story doesn't happen but I'm glad Mylod accommodated her request otherwise I feel the experience would suffer. 

The Menu is still a fun thriller and the tight running time does work in its favour. There is also plenty for film buffs to dig into and discuss but it can still all be enjoyed at face value. I was still a little underwhelmed by Mylod's approach as characters just let themselves fall into a trap and it will break the immersion for some while others will gladly stick around for desert. 

Comments

Popular Posts