Should I Check This Out - Hannibal season one


Oh I've been looking forward to this.

Before getting into the review, I would like to set the clock back to when this was first announced when I was surprised at the idea of turning a popular film franchise into a TV programme. At the time I, for some reason, hadn't seen the classic, The Silence of the Lambs, or any of the sequels. However, having studied film, I felt that it was something I should check out and I was glad I did. The two sequels (Hannibal and Red Dragon) on the other hand? They were entertaining but didn't hit the spot the same way the original had. Later I heard about the release of the TV show Hannibal, but by this point, I was still too closed minded to really consider it. To be honest, I wasn't hearing enough about it for it to catch my attention when there was still so much that I was catching up on. This continued until it crept up in a conversation with a friend who recommended it and so I did, and I am really glad I chose to do so.

Adapted from the same book as Red Dragon of the same name, Hannibal follows young FBI agent, Will Graham, who has the mixed blessing of being able to empathise with serial killers. Working closely with Dr. Hannibal Lecter and FBI boss Jack Crawford, there are able to utilise Will's ability to track down murderers. However, this has negative affects on Will, so Hannibal works closely with him to provide help and stability, but is he all he seems to be? If you're in any way familiar with the iconic character, made famous by Anthony Hopkins, then you'll know the answer to that.

What follows is one of the best mature shows around today, and I mean it. Not only is this fantastic but it will turn your stomach, and I strongly recommend keeping food away while you watch this. This is certainly one of the best looking shows around at the moment, I mean everything from the sets, costumes, the cinematography, everything looks stunning, which helps when you might want to look away. Clearly, this show has some mighty talented people behind it.

But what about the people in front? They're brilliant too. Danish actor, Mads Mikkelsen is the perfect choice for the title role as Hannibal. Admittedly I wasn't sure at first, but then all my doubts were quickly thrown out the window. He captures everything with great subtlety, playing a man of extreme intelligence, combined with a hidden menace beneath. British actor, Hugh Dancy, adopts an American accent for the role of Will Graham, and while being a fellow Brit, what from what I can tell he does a great job as the damaged character. I hope the Golden Globes pay him some attention as he really deserves it. Completing the trio is Laurence Fishburne as Jack Crawford, bringing a real physical presence to the role. The supporting cast are also great, with a couple of nice guest appearances along the way.

What's more, this isn't your usual crime drama. While this does occasionally adopt the killer-of-the-week plot, the story continues to move and develop the characters further. There were some moments, particularly one episode that was heavily edited in America due to a recent crime, that I felt went a little too far. If I am to try and find any other minor faults is that at times, it is just too damn stylish! Everything looks perfect, which is fine, but I did feel that a female (not male, like in the book and film) Freddie Lounds, looked closer to a fashion model than a tabloid reporter, but then not everything in TV should be grounded by reality. Nitpicking aside, season one has been a pleasure to watch. The decision to almost reboot the story to the modern day and not continue on with the films works well and never bothered me. It's also accessible for those unfamiliar with the films and books, although fans may appreciate one or two small references.

Hannibal really is an unexpected surprise. When news came that a second season might not happen, I was really disappointed as this is one of the best examples of how TV can compete with films today. And with news about how talented filmmakers are finding it increasingly difficult to make films that aren't for the mainstream, TV is looking quite attractive with shows like this around. Thankfully, my fears were put to rest when creator, Bryan Fuller confirmed the next season. Once you've finished this season, you'll be as keen as I am to see what happens next.

With beautiful, sometimes shocking imagery that looks like it has come out of an arthouse film, a brilliant cast and a fantastic story, Hannibal gets my full recommendation.

Comments

Popular Posts