Dunkirk


A short while ago I found time to see Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated Dunkirk and, being a busy summer, it has given me plenty of time to reflect on one of my favourite director's films.

Now being a fan can mean that you can forgive flaws and view everything in rose-tinted glasses but I have been burned by Nolan with his disappointing The Dark Knight Rises which I compared to a bad nights sleep. I wanted to get into it but it just wasn't happening. Some still liked it and while I aim to give it another shot, there was every chance this could be a let down, and I haven't seen Interstellar yet which I've heard has also divided opinion. In short, I was going into this with an open mind and ready to see how the famous British military disaster would translate to the silver screen. 

Within the opening seconds we are thrusted into coastal streets as young British soldiers are picked off by the unseen German forces who are slowly driving them to the sea. It is chilling and is one hell of a start to truly emphasise how terrible the situation was for these men who are left to wait for any sign of support. All the while, German fighter planes are swooping in and making the British and French numbers even smaller. The story then divides into three strands with Mark Rylance's attempt to drive his boat to rescue the soldiers, Tom Hardy's fighter pilot trying to save the boys on the ground, and Fionn Whitehead and Harry Styles who are left seeking a way out of Dunkirk. 


Some have complained that the film lacks emotion and/or character development but I think Nolan was very wise to take the minimalist approach to such a large event. I'd also add that what we do learn of the characters is enough and that not everything has to come from dialogue. In an interview, Nolan explains how he was inspired by silent films before making this and how they would capture emotion without the need for exposition. The end result is a striking experience filled with many great moments of tension, excitement and tragedy while also informing today's generation about what happened in Dunkirk. 

I can't vouch for its historical accuracy but I can't deny that this is one of the best war films this decade. Nolan never wastes a moment and keeps the story tight in under two hours where other filmmakers would pad the story out with another hour. Dunkirk gets my full recommendation and is a film people should watch. 

Comments

Popular Posts